|“||My name is Akuma! The supreme master of the fist!||„|
|“||I am Akuma. And I will teach you the meaning of pain!||„|
— Akuma (Street Fighter IV)
Akuma (悪魔 Akuma, "Devil"), known in Japan as Gouki (豪鬼 Goku, "Great Demon", "Great Devil" or "Great Ogre"), is a playable character and major antagonist in the Street Fighter series and UDON comics. He claims to be "The Supreme Master of the Fist" and is used by Gojiran103.
Akuma's appearance has changed majorly three times, but the most recognizable is him having full control of his Satsui no Hadou power. His gi is black, having a black belt around the west, wears brown fighting gloves, his skin color is a light-dark chocolate brown (due to him possessing the Satsui no Hadou in him), he has red spiky hair, sharp pointed teeth, and usually fights in sandals, separating the bare-foot style from Ryu, Ken, and Sean. He also has crimson red eyes and wears his deceased master's prayer beads around his neck. In Street Fighter III and IV, his gloves have been replaced with ropes, and his belt has as well, and Akuma in Street Fighter IV appears to have slight hints of gray hair, hinting that while he is seemingly inhuman, Akuma is still physically aging.
Before he took control of the Satsui no Hadou and when he was young, his appearance looked similar to that of Ryu, and a bit mix of a barbarian. His hair was a bit long, down to his neck, brown or black in color, he donned a gray gi, and his skin color was a white-tan. He was also seen with eyebrows. Differing from these three appearances, unlike Evil Ryu who hasn't mastered the Satsui no Hadou, Akuma's face when mastering it changed completely, from still-pure human looking to more a demonic-human look.
Akuma is a cold and extremely powerful warrior whose sole reason for being is to hone his fighting skills by battling and destroying strong foes. He rarely displays any sign of emotions, aside from occasional bursts of anger, and rarely smiles. He takes his training very seriously and deals brutally with those who dare interrupt him, as seen in his Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike ending. Occasionally, he likes to test himself against worthy rivals (e.g. Gen, Oro). In later games, Akuma often refers to himself as a "denizen of hell" and "evil incarnate", and is seen as such by many. This may be a result of the Satsui no Hado ("Surge of Murderous Intent") taking a toll on his mind.
Akuma bides by himself, no one else, but himself. He prefers to have no allies, help, anything in that category in general and considers to be a loner. While acting at the same time to be at the top of his power.
In line with his martial arts philosophy, Akuma also believes in a certain principle of self-worth. Specifically, Akuma despises hubris (i.e. a perceived excess of self-worth), foolish behavior, and those who rely on means other than their fists to fight or gain power (both of which would indicate a lack of the same), as his various win quotes in the Street Fighter IV games indicate. He is also somewhat nihilistic by principle, as his search for worthy opponents often includes someone who would be able to kill him.
Akuma detests his brother Gouken for not giving in to the dark side of their arts which is, according to Akuma, the way they were intended to be used. He also blames Gouken for sealing off the darkness within Ryu, thus preventing Ryu from reaching his true potential. This forces Akuma to give up on his planned duel with Ryu, as he believes that only a fellow practitioner of Satsui no Hado can one day hope to defeat him.
Most of the time, Akuma does abide by the code of the warrior. He fights to improve his skills and defeat powerful foes - though on rare occasion, he does so to gauge the other's abilities. Although he killed his teacher Goutetsu and believed he did the same with his brother (Gouken), Akuma did so in combat, and thus can be said to have not transgressed on his principles.
In combat, Akuma almost never resorts to his true strength, especially if testing another fighter; he only fights warriors that he deems worthy, or the ones he believes have the potential to become such. During the events of Street Fighter Alpha 2, Akuma fought Ryu only to gain insight on Ryu's abilities, while in 3rd Strike, he faced Oro in order to test his own strength.
Although Akuma usually prefers an even bout (as he backed out of a duel with Gen once he found out that Gen was fatally ill), it is not uncommon for him to deliver a lethal sneak attack to an unprepared opponent (as he did with Bison, Gill and Adon's unnamed rival). While the evil nature of Satsui no Hado itself may have corrupted Akuma's ways, it is worth noting that Akuma considers Bison a much more abhorrent type of evil.
Abilities and forms
Akuma fights in the Anatsuken fighting style, like Ryu and Ken, though with absolutely no violent limitations unlike the two due to Gouken who did not teach them the way it was intended to be so. When ranging with the Satsui no Hadou, Akuma was very powerful who pushed the violence and uncalled-for-techniques of the Anatsuken, and this was later followed in Akuma's forms. Akuma also wants to reach beyond his limits and desires so much power in his possession, though, yet, he is truly never satisfied and always wants and believes in getting stronger.
— Akuma (Street Fighter IV).
- Extreme strength.
- Extreme speed.
- Manipulation of Hado fire, electricity and darkness.
- Gohadoken -- The stronger Hadoken. Like the Hadoken, Akuma charges a pink-flaming Gohadoken in his hands and fires it unto an opponent.
- Goshoryuken -- The stronger version of the Shoryuken. Akuma crouches down and a pink, red and black form of fire form in his left or right hand and launches upwards with the flaming fist hitting the opponent.
- Tatsumaki Zankukyaku -- The stronger version of the Tatsumaki Senpakyaku. Akuma jumps and rotates his legs, hitting the opponent multiple times with shadow-elemented electricity surging with the attack.
- Zanku Hadoken -- Akuma jumps up and fires his Gohadoken at the opponent.
- Shakunetsu Hadoken -- A flame-charged Hadoken, can be used to scorch the opponent.
- Tenmakujinkyaku -- Akuma briefly jumps up in the air and pierces through the opponent with his kick. It can also be used to execute any small or intermediate attack.
- Kongou Kokuretsuzan -- Akuma is granted extreme power of the Hado as he lifts up his hand and crashes it down to the ground. Releasing a giant explosion of flames and electricity, covering up a large proximity area.
- Shakunetsu Hadoken -- Akuma charges more damage to deal in his Gohadoken attack and fires it at the opponent. This may set them on fire.
- Zugaihasatsu -- Akuma launches his arm into the opponent. Can be used to scorch an opponent.
- Ashura Senku -- An ability exclusive to the Satsui no Hadou (and, of course, the stronger versions of the others and forward). Akuma glows red lifts one knee and "glides" across the area, either left or right. He can raise the speed to whatever he desires, from slow to fast.
- Tenma Gou Zankuu -- The stronger of the Zanku Hadoken, jumping up and firing the attack, may set the opponent on fire.
- Messatsu-Goshoryu -- The stronger version of the Shoryureppa, though with Goshoruken's added and a last punishing move added. Akuma does a three-multi hitting Goshoryukens, before doing a fourth one making the opponent high up in the air, before Akuma disappears/vanishes from site, and appears above the opponent. He then thrusts his Satsui no Hadou-ki fist into the opponent's face before making them crash to the ground with impact, punishing them.
- Messatsu Gou Rasen" -- The stronger version of the Tatsumaki Zankukyaku. Akuma jumps up, rising vertically pulling a struck opponent into a vacuum similar to Ken's 'Shinryuken. Akuma then finishes with a final swift spin kick to end the attack, if this is done in midair, it deals more damage.
- Kongou Kokuretsuzan -- Akuma puts his hand up and charges it with energy, violently slamming his fist on the ground; the resulting explosion of pure energy first takes the form of a lightning bolt, and then emanates outwards in a shock wave of energy that rises from the ground as a geyser formation.
- Shun Goku Satsu -- Akuma's most signature and terrifying attack. He glides towards the opponent using his Ashura Senku, then grapples them and makes sure they cannot escape. Darkness begins surrounding the victim and everything around them fades black. Soon, light punches are heard, standard punches are heard, hard punches are heard, intense punches are heard, and finally, one big piercing blow then hits the opponent, as they (should they) instantly fall on the ground (Most of Akuma's victims of the Shun Goku Satsu were often killed, but when used on the victim he wishes not to kill, he will limit the sheer power of it.) while Akuma stands over them, the kanji of the Satsui no Hadou glowing on the back of his gi and the entire area becoming covered in his violent flames as the victim is as well, as a giant kanji symbol also appears over Akuma and the victim.
- Wrath of the Raging Demon -- The demon's horrifying attack now gets an upgrade. Akuma lifts his left knee and shouts, "Die one thousand deaths!" at his opponent, as the four kanji of his words (it could be either his words, or the four kanji of the Satsui no Hadou) engrave in the air of each angle of his body. Akuma the uses his Ashura Senku and glides at the opponent and grapples them again making sure they can't escape. Darkness surounds the victim and everything fades black, as the same hits from the Shun Goku Satsu occur in this upgrade, but at faster rate. This ability could outright kill anyone depending on how powerful they are, as Akuma rarely uses this attack unless if it's absolutely necessary to do so.
- Demon Armageddon -- The stronger version of the Messatsu Gou Rasen, and the most powerful Tatsumaki he possesses. Akuma turns away from the opponent before delivering a high roundhouse kick that sends them several feet into the air, zooming after them with an extremely powerful Tatsumaki Zankukyaku that envelops him in a whirlwind. As he hits his opponent, a giant red kanji of "heaven" (天, ten) appears in the background, acting as a sort of "wall" against which the opponent is pinned until Akuma flies through them with the Tatsumaki Zankukyaku, shattering the kanji and sending the opponent tumbling to the ground.
|“||I am power made flesh...! Feel how weak you truly are!!||„|
— A chaotic Shin Akuma in Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact.
This form is the product of the powerful demon reaching his full potential, becoming the chaotic monster; Shin Akuma (真・悪魔 Shin Akuma, Shin Gouki, "True Demon" or "True Devil"), (真・豪鬼 Shin Gōki, "True Great Demon", "True Great Devil" or "True Great Ogre") He first achieved this form in Street Fighter Alpha 2 defeating many opponents through the year, and spent more years on insane endurance training, the Hado therefor granted him his deserved ascension.
Shin Akuma's appearance drastically changes. He stands at 5'11, his hair turns to pure white (sometimes the hair color is red in some games), his eyes are a mix of red-orange and yellow, his skin color is now a bright red-orange and pink (sometimes it can be a lighter chocolate brown) and his gi is now a deep purple. He also gains more muscle mass all around his body, sometimes enough that he can appear shirtless. Shin Akuma also has his sharper teeth slightly bigger in size, and can appear with sandals or without sandals.
- Superhuman strength.
- Superhuman speed.
- Now has some extent to translocation, shown in one of his moves.
- Control over Hado fire, electricity and darkness increases. Flames and electricity turn to a pink-hue proving its increase.
- Most of his former techniques are massively increased, like his Ashura Senku, Shun Goku Satsu, Zanku Hadoken, etc.
- Can fire multiple projectiles air and ground-wise.
- Tenma Shurettou -- A traditional and common move of Shin Akuma. Shin Akuma surges with crazed Hado energy and translocates up into the sky before warping above the opponent in midair, crashing down into them with extreme speeds as he cuts/slices through a small portion of the lower area of the opponent's stomach with his outside knifehand, forcing them to fall down in pain. This move can be avoided, however.
- Misogi -- The upgraded version of the Tenma Shurettou, used to almost kill M. Bison. The same tactics, Shin Akuma surges with crazed Hado energy and translocates in the sky at a much faster rate before rocketing down at extreme speeds to the opponent. This time, he severely cuts/slices a bigger portion of said area of the opponent's stomach. This can either force them to die in pain, or be severely injured and be forced to fall at the same time. This upgrade is considered impossible to avoid due to the speed.
— Oni, bloodthirsty for Gouken.
|“||I shall grind beneath my heel...of all that exists.||„|
|“||Your time has run out!||„|
— A victorious Oni.
Oni (鬼 Oni, "Demon"), also known as Kuruoshiki Oni (狂オシキ鬼 Kuruoshiki Oni?, "Mad Demon"), no longer in name of Akuma, is the demon who has now finally reached his true potential. He becomes one with the Hado and proclaims that he is the Satsui no Hado at its true form, thirsty for blood and death. It's not exactly stated how Akuma gains this incredible form, as its only noted that he practiced darker aspects of the Hado. Since at the preferable-route of Street Fighter IV, Akuma only appears in the beginning of his storyline as Oni. This form of Akuma has pure hatred for Gouken and Ryu, only an exception to his evil form (while he still wants to smite Evil Ryu). It is also noted that Akuma hasn't completely mastered this form of the Hado yet, as the Satsui no Hado manages to completely control Akuma when he shifts into this form. Since then when he reverted back, Akuma will have to watch for his power outrage into Oni.
Oni radically changes his appearance to both Akuma and Shin Akuma, appearing monstrous and terrifying. First of all, his muscle mass increases much more than Shin Akuma's, and his skin color is now an electrical bright blue. His hair has now broken out of its knot and is now engulfed as pure white, thick, electrical hair. He no longer possesses his gi and only the legs' cloth remain, and his rope around his waists till remains. The ropes around his fists are also completely gone. His sandals are also gone and is barefooted. His eyes are a fury bright orange, his sharper teeth are now visibly bigger, and his now glowing beads from his slain master, Goutetsu, are now gone.
- Godly/divine strength.
- Godly/divine speed.
- Translocation upgrades to complete teleportation.
- Hado fire, electricity and darkness has extremely increased, blue/cyan color proving its rapid power increase.
- Former techniques are extremely increased, like his Ashura Senku, Shun Goku Satsu and so on.
- Can fire/release endless projectiles from air to ground.
- Said projectiles are also massively much larger, like his Gohadoken.
- Zugaihasatsu Lv. 2 -- An uprade to his Zugaihasatsu. Oni fires his arm straight at the opponent, releasing a electrical explosion.
- Zanku Hadosho -- Oni charges a fire burst from his palm, and launches it towards the opponent; its face, or stomach. It can either send the opponent flying back scorched in fire, or leave them in a short explosion from the impact.
- Rakan Dantojin -- Oni slides or uses the Ashura Senku and swipes his palm, which is engulfed in orange-white fire, horizontally to the opponent as they receive a small explosion and a nasty burn, then he follows up again causing a bigger flaming explosion.
- Sekisei Jiraken -- Oni jumps vertically into the air, blue fire and electricity flowing in his hand, and rockets down with extreme speeds and launches the fist at his opponent. Not only receiving agonizing pain, the fire/electricity releases into their stomach and explodes violently, covering a very large proximity area. This move can be avoided, however if the target is quick enough to avoid.
- Gorai Hadoken -- Oni fires a giga-sized Gohadoken imbued with electrical energy. This Gohadoken can also be used as a ray, like a Kamehameha. It can cancel the majority of any projectile and continue onwards as long as the clashing projectile cannot do more hits than the released Gorai Hadoken.
- Meido Gohado -- Oni fires an extremely powerful Gohadoken that can be fired in all directions, more powerful than the Gorai Hadoken. If hit, the opponent will suffer from the first hit, and the Meido Gohado will impulse with energy and will burst into the opponent. Causing extreme damage.
- Tenchi Sokaigen -- Oni performs a more powerful Sekisei Jiraiken that will cause a pillar of energy. Should Oni land the first hit cleanly, the opponent is then launched passed midair. Oni charges with crazed energy and follows them with high speeds, their back completely exposed and vulnerable. As it hits, everything will freeze and the hit will burst their body into agony, breaking their bones as the Heaven kanji bursts into the sky.
This form is basically encountering Oni as a boss in Street Fighter IV. Such as, this is the boss form of Oni. Realistically, he becomes more invulnerable to attacks and his stats are slightly increased. He doesn't have any major changes when talking about appearance.
Under here are forms that do not belong only to the Street Fighter category and belong to another series. More so, crossover forms.
|“||My creator wants you dead. It is done...||„|
— A victorious Cyber Akuma.
Cyber Akuma, known as Mech Gouki is a cyborg version of Akuma created by none other than Apocalypse. In Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, Akuma was captured by Apocalypse when he was about to fight him. Knowing that not only his Satsui no Hado power would be more than enough, he was the ultimate target to slaughter both Street Fighter and the Marvel worlds, and enslave both of them. Knocked out cold, Apocalypse worked on Akuma's body and replaced, and covered, several parts of his body in cybernetic implants, enhancing his body. To empower it even more Apocalypse created his own Infinity Gems, albeit much more limited than the actual ones. He implanted them onto Akuma's gauntlet granting him its abilities. He was set off to his mission until he was defeated with the combined forces of the teams, and turned his back on Apocalypse, defeating him. His body was then returned to its rightful state.
Cyber Akuma has his entire left side of his body in metallic armor, wore a cybernetic armored eye, and his left arm coated in metal. He had a orange gauntlet on his wrist and in there were the Infinity Gems. Cyber Akuma had metallic wings that he could summon at any time he desires, and additionally can open up an extra set of cybernetic arms.
- Superhuman strength.
- Superhuman speed.
- Control over Hado fire, electricity and darkness.
- Ability to translocate or teleport.
- Can use all of the Satsui no Hado's techniques.
- Can use the added cyber-techniques, more below.
- Wings can be used to fly.
- Can fire a laser from his cybernetic eye.
- Can release a shockwave pulse.
- Cybernetic arm, and hand, can be used to morph into any shape or size, like a weapon.
- Extra set of metal arms can extend
- Cyber Gohadoken -- Cyber Akuma charges and fires a much larger, fire-elemented Hadoken.
- Zankuu Bolt Hadoken -- An air-projectile Cyber Gohadoken, which throws two of these at once.
- Shining Circuit Goshoruken -- A much faster shoryuken that will scorch the opponent in severe red-orange flames.
- Lightning Tastsumaki Zankuukyaku -- A much faster Tatsumaki, as electricity surges and it may scorch or stun the opponent.
- Winged Ashura Senku -- Like his normal Ashura Senku, but with his wings spread and can do this in the air.
- High Mega Gou Beam -- Improved version of his Mesatsu Gou Hadou, it's yellow and is extremely damaging.
- Scramble Gou Punch -- Improved version of Akuma's Messatsu Gou Shoryu. A lot powerful and strikes in faster.
- Thunder Gou Shower -- Cyber Akuma throws 31, giant Zankuu Cyber Hadokens at once.
- Shining Gou Shock -- Cyber Akuma's Shun Goku Satsu. It's twice as fast as the normal Shun Goku Satsu with twice the distance. Muc more deadly, the likelyhood of being killed by this Shun Goku Satsu is high. This can even be done in the air.
- Full control over the limited Infinity Gems. List of modes and their benefits below.
- Mind Gem -- When Cyber Akuma uses this gem, his power briefly rockets up to a dangerous rate, passed Shin Akuma's standards.
- Power Gem -- When Cyber Akuma uses this gem, all of his techniques triple the damage.
- Reality Gem -- When Cyber Akuma uses this gem, all of his projectiles increase extremely, and most of them, can be used to release rays like a Kamehameha. He can also fire endless projectiles at will like Oni.
- Soul Gem -- When Cyber Akuma uses this gem, it heals him, or regenerates him.
- Space Gem -- When Cyber Akuma uses this gem, his armor is now much more harder to pierce, basically a super armor.
- Time Gem -- When Cyber Akuma uses this gem, his speed drastically rockets up and is much faster.
- Strength is rapidly increased.
- Speed is rapidly increased.
- Manipulation of Pandora fire.
- Manipulation of Pandora darkness.
- All of his techniques are briefly increased.
|“||Rugal...I will remember your name. Time to sleep... Shun Goku Satsu!!||„|
— A non-canon path in Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millenuim. Where Akuma executes Rugal and absorbs his Orochi power.
Now, in Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millenium, when the player reaches the end there will be a chance on whether they meet Shin Akuma or God Rugal. If they encounter Shin Akuma, Akuma is the one who speaks before Rugal and murders him. Rugal says his final words as he gives the Orochi power into Akuma, which drives him insane and he transforms into Shin Akuma. However, this leaves you fooled. Because this form of "Shin Akuma", rather than visibly connected to its actual counterpart, is different. Rather than the obvious of absorbing Orochi power, for instance, the usual kanji of Shin Akuma that means "true", this Shin Akuma dons a different and unique kanji. That implies to be a diety, or "godlike person", directly coming from the deity-term for Orochi. But it seems that the Hado somehow manages to outdo the Orochi power and it comes out victorious, becoming Shin Akuma, while still absorbing most of its attacks. But since the term "Shin" means "God", it would clearly state that Akuma has really absorbed the Orochi [pwer and became the same status of God Rugal. Albeit, Akuma becoming God Akuma/Shin Akuma in this game is considered non-canon, only Rugal becoming God Rugal being canon. A M.U.G.E.N creator has corrected this, as the image says so above.
- Godly/divine strength.
- Godly/divine speed.
- Ability to fly/float.
- Can now perform many of Orochi's techniques.
- Can still perform the Satsui no Hado's techniques.
- Still has full control over Hado fire, electricity and darkness.
- Control over Orochi wind, earth, lightning, fire, light, darkness, death and water.
- Can perform combined Hado-Orochi techniques, just like God Rugal.
- Gap manipulation.
- Can use the Snake Arms ability.