|“||I'm ready for ya, bring it on!||„|
— Ken's Masters, Street Fighter IV.
|“||Come on, time to heat things up.||„|
— Ken Masters' battle intro, Street Fighter V.
Ken Masters (ケン or 拳 "Fist", (ケン・マスターズ Ken Masutāzu), is a video game character created by Capcom and is one of the main characters of the Street Fighter series, along with Ryu.
Ken is most easily recognized by his sparring gloves (yellow in the Alpha series, brown elsewhere) and bright red gi with the sleeves ripped off, similar to Ryu's (Capcom has said that a red gi was chosen to stand out and to reflect his more flashy style of fighting). His gi has the sleeves neatly removed, and it is usually seen in better shape than Ryu's, since he can easily afford to keep up with and/or own spares. He has blonde hair (Ken's natural hair color is actually black, but he had since dyed it blonde) and long eyebrows. He wears a black belt at his waist and fights barefooted.
While Ryu is the more serious and stoic of the two, Ken is the complete opposite - flamboyant, unorthodox and unpredictable. He is an alpha male with a giant ego and constantly reminds his opponents about his greatness. While he can be brash, egotistical, and arrogant at times, his heart is pure. He is generally kind, friendly, a good person, and very easygoing. He never backs down from a fight no matter how difficult it looks.
However, he still shares some mindful similarities like Ryu, as he believes in honor, hard work, endurance, and, especially discipline. He always gives his opponents the utmost respect, whether it is his master Gouken, his best friend Ryu, or his Capcom vs. SNK rival, Terry Bogard. He is also a worrywart when it comes to his family, nearly missing the tournament in Street Fighter IV because he didn't want to leave Eliza so close to her due date, and only entered when she assured him she'd be fine. He still called her to check in and tell her to be careful on stairs.
Abilities and forms
Ken's specializes in the Anatsuken fighting style, given to him when he had been training under his master Gouken along with Ryu. Of course, Ken's fighting style still differs from that of Ryu, as he specializes in Shoryukens more than Hadoken's, and is mostly aligned with fire.
— Ken Masters
- High strength.
- Standard speed.
- Some manipulation of fire.
- Hadoken -- Ken charges a orange/red flame energy ball from his palms, and fires it unto an opponent.
- Shoryuken -- One of Ken's most recognizable moves, he prepares for a low air jump with his left or right hand formed in a punch, and thrusts himself upward with the punch lifted upwards at an opponent. It can also emit flames.
- Tatsumaki Senpukyaku -- Ken jumps in the air and rotates his legs, kicking the opponent multiple times.
- Roundhouse Kick -- Another of Ken's special moves, he performs three different varieties of roundhouse kicks onto the opponent.
- Ryusenkyaku -- Usually yelling, "Morata!!", Ken performs a wheel kick at the opponent and lands down on his back.
- Zanku Hadoken -- Ken's Hadoken albeit in midair.
- Shoryureppa -- Ken performs multiple Shoryuken's on his opponent which can sometimes light them on fire.
- Shinryuken -- Ken kneels and readies himself to perform a powerful spinning Shoryuken that vertically ascends straight up high for a nonstop multi hitting attack.
- Shinpu Jinraikyaku -- Ken moves forward and delivers a low roundhouse kick, two high ones, and another low one, and follows up with a knee hit. He then launches into a vertical Tatsumaki Senpukyaku if his knee hit succeeds.
- Rengoku Guruma -- Ken grabs the opponent and knees them three times, then slams them on the ground twice. He finishes them by doing an aerial version of the Tsukami Nage.
- Guren Senpukyaku -- Ken sometimes playfully points at the opponent with a cocky smile and proceeds to unleash a barrage of flaming Tatsumaki Senpukyaku kicks as he spins in a horizontal straight line across the screen. If it lands properly, he finishes them off with a final flaming kick.
— A crazed Violent Ken.
|“||No...no! This is not of it, this is not the Sats! The taste...it's all wrong!||„|
— Akuma's overview of Ken's (unstable) control of the Yamata no Orochi.
This form of Ken is him being infused with the Yamata no Orochi/Orochi's power, transforming him into Violent Ken. His appearance looks similar to that of Evil Ryu or those who fall under the Satsui no Hado, such as his skin tone now turning to a light-chocolate brown. Though, his hair has now turned to a spiky-afro style, it becomes white in color, and his eyes become a yellow/orange color. His gi also darkens more. Even though this powerful energy has nothing to do with the Satsui no Hado, Ken truly ponders if he really desires this power. Like many others who fall under Orochi's power, Ken only uses the raw power of the powerful energy, rather than not using its true power, or, at least he rarely does use its true power, or, it may overcome him. Like many others again, another limitation is that Ken's power and control of Orochi's power is still limited, such as the inability to shapeshift his arms, legs, head, toes, feet, hands and fingers into the snakes of the 8 heads of Orochi, his Orochi/Hakkeshu element manipulation limited, etc.
- Abilities from previous form, but pulled to a more powerful extent.
- Accurate control of Orochi wind, earth, lightning, fire (his own fire has completely altered to his fire), earth, lightning, darkness, death, and water.
- Ability to float/fly, part of true power.
- Able to use the Snake Arms ability; his arms can shadowphase from one to eight arms.
- Kuzuryu Reppa -- Ken kicks the opponent multiple times before performing a Shoryuken, then a Shoryureppa, and performs a Shinryuken that rises ludicrously high into the air as he says the move's name.
- Shinbu Messatsu -- Violent Ken dashes forward and performs a series of punches and kicks, and finishes with a Hadou Shouryuuken, taking his breath back afterwards. In the level 2 version, the attack deals more damage.
- Shinbu Messatsu Lv. 3 -- Violent Ken dashes and performs a series of punches and kicks the opponent, disappears, then phases in and out, performing more punches and kicks. Violent Ken finishes with a powerful punch, then takes his breath back afterwards.
|“||Ugh...is that really all you could do?||„|
|“||Come on, show me what you're made of!||„|
|“||Hm...this could be interesting. Bring it on, meatball!||„|
— Ken to Rufus.
— Violent Ken